We Welcome New Students for 2023-24 School Year!
Anna Baksheeva Music Academy was founded in Ottawa, Ontario in 2010 by a professional violinist Anna Baksheeva, MMus in Violin Performance. Anna has been teaching violin for over 20 years and has developed effective violin pedagogy, system that helps students of any age to play violin well: strictly in tune, have solid rhythm, freedom in both hands and proper violin technique for a life time. Anna is proud of her students and looks forward to sharing her love for violin and fiddle with anyone age 5 and older. Adult students and seniors are very welcome at any level of playing! Come and learn with us, improve your skills and enjoy variety of music styles.
Anna believes that most people can learn to play violin(fiddle) if they practice and really want to learn. She invests her heart in every student’s success by providing a comprehensive music curriculum, diverse learning materials, tutorials, community performance opportunities as well as our academy’s video projects. While focusing on fine violin (fiddle) playing traditions and good technique building (solid rhythm, intonation and beautiful tone), Anna likes to introduce all her students to various styles of music, group classes and ensembles. Academy’s mission is to pass on musical knowledge and share violin experience with anyone, regardless of age and ability.
We love what we do and we help people to do well what they love – play fiddle and enjoy it!
During 2022-23 season we offer the following lessons and classes:
- Private violin / fiddle lessons online and in person for all levels of players (Nepean-Centerpointe area)
- Semi-private lessons for 2-3 students in a small group (Duet, trio)
- Intergenerational GROUP violin / fiddle classes for beginners and intermediate players
- Music theory private lessons
Please, email, text or call us at 613-600-5569 to sign up for lessons with us!
Email here using CONTACT FORM
Music theory private lessons
Private and semi-private music theory lessons in person and online. 30min lesson: 30$ 45min lesson: 55$ 60min lesson: 60$
1 hour violin lesson online or in person
Please enter the number of lessons you'd like to pay for.
Semi-private lessons for 2-3 students
Semi-private lessons for 2-3 students (by appointment). 25$ per person for 45 min lesson.
Click here to see Violin Beginners Course
Beginner Violin Course Outline RCM levels 1-3
1. Proper Technique of Right and Left Hands, preparation exercises for both hands, developing muscular awareness in both hands.
2. Open Strings exercises, Left Hands exercises, G, D, A scales, G major 2 octaves scales
3. Students learn how to read music on all four strings using 1st position chart, stickers on the fingerboard and numbers on every note
4. Rhythm exercises in meters 2/4, 3/4, 44, 6/8
5. Learning to play by ear, rhythm clap backs and play back, singing and playing a melody from listening to piano
6. Beginners use our own Beginner Bundle materials progressing into Royal Conservatory level 1 and Suzuki book 1
Click here for Intermediate Violin Course
Intermediate Violin Course Outline RCM levels 3-5
1. Developing strength in both hands, performance endurance and many skills and abilities on violin
2. Scales and arpeggios in G, D, A, F, B flat, A Flat, d, a, e, b, g, etc and playing cleanly in 1, 2, 4, 8 per bow, arpeggios 1,3, 6 per bow
3. Introducing 3 positions and developing comfort playing and shifting in them easily.
4. Introducing 4,5th positions
5. Learning many pieces in levels 3,4,5 Royal Conservatory and books Suzuki 2, 3,4, 5
6. Introducing few challenge pieces per year from Baroque, Classical and Romantic music periods to qualified students.
7. Performances, auditions, competitions, master classes, making videos, performing solo, with piano and in a group
Click here for Advanced Violin Curriculum
Advanced Violin Curriculum Outline RCM levels 6-8, Artist Diploma and beyond
1. Students develop fluid and solid shifting technique all along violin finger board in 3 and 4 octaves scales, arpeggios and double stops (3rd, 6th, 8th, broken thirds, Dominant 7th chord, Diminished Chord, single string scales and arpeggios, harmonics, fingering octaves, 10th)
2. Schradieck, Ševcik Violin exercises
3. Advanced Violin repertoire
4. Sonatas and Partitas by J.S.Bach
5. Studies and Caprices by Kayser, Kreutzer, Mazas, Dont, Rode, Paganini
6. Violin repertoire progression list levels 6-8 RCM Repertoire Syllabus
7. Additional Violin Repertoire listing here : https://www.stringacademyofwisconsin.org/resources/violin-music-repertoire/#sequence_2
8. Preparations for solo recitals, competitions, Kiwanis Festival, auditions and video recordings.
Great soulful Violinist & Superb Teacher I’ve been a student of Anna’s for three years now, and I feel absolutely blessed that I’ve found her and she had space to take me on as a student. While being a great violinist, which I had the pleasure to witness in numerous of her performances, what sets…
I have known Anna for 2 years as a confident soloist and performer. During this time Anna has been proactive in self-promotion as a performer and a teacher. It was truly inspiring for the students to hear her play with ease and to clearly outline the positives and negatives of pursuing a career as a…
Anna has been working on a new pedagogical workbook for the violin teaching. She has also been part of the Montessori school system and has been a regular guest in schools of the mainstream school boards. She seems to possess an endless reserve of energy that allows her to practice, organize all these ideas, teach…
Thanks to Anna and her deep understanding of the instrument and pedagogy, my daughter discovered and developed a dormant gift in music. This gift has flourished into a surprising level of playing and comprehension in music that allowed my daughter to participate in RCM music exams and violin rentals, talent shows at school. We live…
Since the beginning of taking lessons with Anna, my daughter has developed skills, confidence and passion for violin, I have noticed an increase with her ability to focus at school to the point of being as much attentive if not more than the average students. Her motor skills in many areas at school, has also…
My daughter has been a student of Anna Baksheeva since 2015. She has mild form of autism and Anna managed to reach to her level of understanding and her needs. She has developed method of teaching her proper violin technique regardless of her limitation. She saw potential in my daughter and just kept going. …
Anna provides a warm and constructive environment for learning violin. At the core of Anna’s approach is a personal and professional love of music. She seeks to nurture and cultivate a child’s natural curiousity and musicality, all the while providing a solid foundation for mastery of the instrument. I heartedly recommend Anna as a teacher…
Private Lessons Locations